Why should you consider optimizing your WordPress site for better speed and performance?
A fast loading page can increase the quality of user experience, increase in pageviews and much more…. Just that?No users will wait for a site with a load time more than one-second Click To Tweet
And you really don’t want to see your users abandon your site.
So, I’m sharing a few effective methods to improve your site loading speed, The Best WordPress Speed Optimization Guide. Any Techy or Non-Techy can do this.
How do you test your site loading speed? Are you using any third-party software to analyze it?
If not, here are some of the free tools to analyze your site loading speed. Also, they will give you more ideas about how to improve your site speed and performance, which will help you build an awesome user experience.
There are many other useful and powerful tools to do the website speed test. Here’s a list of best Speed test tools written by Brian Jackson in Kinsta Blog.
“Why should I use a tool when I can see my site loading faster than any other site myself?” can be a question that every beginner’s mind. I knew it because I was one among that kind, who thought their site is extremely fast just by seeing it load fast on their own device.
Do you know that the modern browsers like Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox store the data of frequently visited websites in the cache to make it load fast the next time when you open the same site.
So, if you open your site from your own device in which your site was opened recently, your site will load faster taking less time than the time it actually requires to load on a new device.
There are many reasons for it. It may be your,
- Web Hosting: If your hosting providers’ is a slow server or if it isn’t configured correctly, your site may be slow. You can choose the best hosting provider considering what you need and the pricing. If you are still confused about it, you can contact our expert team. And, it will be free of cost.
- Theme: A poorly coded theme can make your site slow. So, always get the best theme. It isn’t necessary to buy a Premium theme always, even free themes are good in speed. We recommend themes by MyThemeShop, ThemeForest and StudioPress Themes. They are the best in Premium themes. And if you are looking for a free WordPress theme, you can still use the free WordPress themes by MyThemeShop.
- Plugins: Bad plugins and use of many (unwanted) plugins also can slow down your site. You really don’t need a lot of plugins. Why don’t you try the best in the market with more features and remove the unwanted plugins.
- WordPress configuration: Incorrect configuration of your WordPress site may lead to non-caching of your pages, and it may become an overload for your servers and make your site slow. And that is something you should have a clear vision.
- External Scripts: The use of external scripts may slow down your site. Ads and other scripts that you are using can slow down your site. So, don’t use external scripts from unknown sources and the scripts creating more load on the server.
The web hosting is a crucial factor in site loading speed. If you are using a shared hosting, your server will be shared among some other users in the same plan of your web hosting provider.
And if other users have a massive traffic, the impact on the server because of that traffic may impact on your WordPress site performance. But it’s not always the same.
You can try the shared hosting of HostGator. They are good in shared hosting.
The best hosting for WordPress sites are Managed WordPress hosting, in which the servers will be best optimized for running your WordPress site.
And we use BlogBing Managed Cloud WordPress on many of our sites. You can grab a discount of 20-40% using our Coupon ODNEVN and it worth the price.
Any theme that isn’t poorly coded is perfect for any site.
We are using the themes by Studiopress. They develop the best themes for WordPress. They are fast and looking perfect for any website. You can also use free themes if you don’t want to spend on themes, they aren’t bad.
WordPress Themes by MyThemeShop offer many Premium and Free themes. If you are looking for a theme under $50, then MyThemeShop themes are the best one to start a WordPress blog with good speed and performance.
A bad theme can increase the load on your server, and it increases the load time. Also, don’t use nulled themes if you don’t want to spend money on Premium WordPress themes. It may contain malicious codes.
They are also coded, and a poorly coded plugin can slow down your site. Also, a single bug in your theme or plugin code can impact on your site performance.
You can use any number of plugins on your WordPress site if you want. But if you are using too many plugins, it increases the server load. Thereby increasing the site load time.
There can be paid and free plugins. No matter if you are using paid or free plugins, too much of plugins impacts badly on WordPress site performance.
Avoid using unwanted plugins and try to update plugins every time when you get the update.
It isn’t easy to configure a WordPress site for a beginner. You should do it properly or else it will affect the site’s performance. Every theme and plugin have to be configured properly.
And the external scripts that you use should be controlled. If you use a lot of external scripts, it will increase the load on the server.
How To Increase Your WordPress Site’s Speed & Performance?
Making changes to the website configuration can be a little scary, and you don’t want to do it. Especially, if you aren’t a techy.
And, yes, we are not coding, we are going to do few clicks. Yes, I mean the same mouse clicks!
By installing a caching plugin, you can speed up your site by 2x or 5x. But which plugin are you going to use?
Some of the best and most used WordPress caching plugins are:
You can download and install or install any one of the plugins directly from WordPress plugin repository.
How to Install and Setup W3 Total Cache for Better performance How to Install and Setup WP Super Cache for Better Performance
Images increase the server load if not optimized. So, if you are adding images, try to optimize it. In WordPress, there are many plugins to automate this for you.
In WordPress, there are many plugins to automate this for you.
WP Smush is one of the best tools to optimize the image. It automatically reduces the image size after you upload the picture on your WordPress site. The free version of WP Smush works great for small blogs and if you are uploading large size images, I recommend to use the WP Smush Pro.
You can also do image optimization manually before you upload to your WordPress site using PhotoShop or any other image optimizers.
There are some online image optimization tools. And the best of them are:
Keeping your WordPress site updated can increase your site speed and performance.
Themes and Plugins will get new updates whenever the developer found bugs in it or to improve the speed and performance. So, keep your WordPress site updated.
And wait, sometimes, there will be bugs in updates too. So, before updating WordPress or the themes or plugins read about the update or wait for some time, one or two days before updating.
- Use small size for thumbnails.
- Use excerpts of the post and don’t show the full post on the front page.
- Limit number of posts on the front page.
- No flash contents on the front page.
- Split the comments into pages if you are getting more comments. Loading a lot of comments increases the load on the server. And it will increase the page load time. Especially those who use other comment systems on the WordPress site.
- Split Long posts into pages to increase page load speed.
- Upload videos on YouTube and not to WordPress directly.
CDN can increase the page load speed of a site better. You can use the CDN depending upon your need.
Some of the top CDN providers are:
CloudFlare offers the free plan, and it comes with free SSL certificate free SSL certificate. But if you are having a business site or a site with massive traffic, you can use MaxCDN for best speed and performance.
If you are using images, videos or any other things hosted on other servers, it will increase the HTTP Request, increasing server load.
Using items hosted on other servers can work even faster than the things hosted on your server. But using too many of them increases the server load and thereby increasing page load time.
You can upload your videos on YouTube and not on WordPress because of this. Uploading a video on your hosting can increase the load on your server, and it can affect your site performance and speed.
You can use this plugin to limit post revisions. This is not the best option to control post revision. Because it checks for post revisions every time and increases server load. But if you don’t want to do anything on your codes, you can use it.
If you can do that,
Add this line of code to your wp-config.php file
define( 'WP_POST_REVISIONS', 5 );
You can change the number ‘5’ to any number depending upon the post revisions you want to store in your database.
This code will store only the recent 5 revisions of a post. And deletes the old revisions automatically. This is the best method to control post revisions on WordPress sites.
You can also use the plugin if you don’t want to edit the wp-config.php to make your site better.
Now, try yourselves and tell us, if it helped you or not, if you need more, tell us in comments.
Kindly leave your suggestions in comments, so that I can make it more useful.